Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today when I woke up and went to school, I forgot it was Valentine's Day. I wouldn't go as far as saying I hate this day, and wear all black and walk around all bitter for 24 hours, but also don't consider it one of the most significant days of the year. Walking through the halls between passing periods I was hit with swarms of girls carrying carnations, candy, teddy bears (ew), and all sorts of Valentine's surprises. Other than the overdose of pink and red presents, it was a pretty routine, normal day.

Then I got my Valentine.
Ok. So, no my life (or my day even) was not completely altered by this sudden change of events. The story wouldn't be found in any chick flick. I didn't start worshiping St. Valentine or have a deep desire to change into an outfit covered in hearts. But it was still nice to know someone was thinking about me, and wanted me to know they care. During my lunch period my friend Ben came up to my table and gave me this:





It was completely unexpected, and really just nice. I love that he hand made the card, and spent time on it. I also love that he told me his mom helped pick out the flowers. Usually I'm not big on Valentines, but this was just really really nice, and Ben is really really great. I'm glad we're becoming such good friends.
Now, you might have been thinking I was special (ok- you're right, I kinda am), but Ben gave out another Valentine today. Virginia was the lucky recipient of this masterpiece:





What is it you ask? Well a vase of assorted felt mustaches of course! What else? Did I mention Ben is sweet, but maybe the weirdest person I know. Now you are probably thinking it must be some kind of an inside joke- something Virg was sure to understand. Nope, wrong- still just a vase of mustaches. I think this might just be my favorite Valentine ever. Virginia was a big fan also.

Here is what I think about Valentine's Day: It's certainly not the worst day in the world, and its a good opportunity to tell people you love them, but I don't think it should end here. I think everyday is the perfect day to be intentional about telling people you love them, and showing them you care. So while today was great, and filled with love, I want this kind of love to be in my everyday life. I want next Tuesday and the Friday after that to be days filled with telling the people I love how much they mean to me just as much as today. I want to show people I care every single day of the year. Valentine's Day may be ending- but the love doesn't stop here!

No comments:

Post a Comment