Monday, January 31, 2011

Maid of Honor

Last night my sister Mckenzie walked in my room with a box with light green ribbon tied around it. I opened it to find this:

Mac and I are 11 years apart, but she's the only one of my siblings I've ever lived in the same house with. I've thought she was the coolest person ever for, well, ever. When I was growing up, she was in high school. I wanted to do everything she did, and she was in high school so of course the feelings weren't exactly mutual. Then she went to college, and I started seeing less and less of her. With our ages being so far apart, we were in a stage for the majority of my elementary and middle school days that there wasn't a lot to bond over or ways to become very close. I hated that. To me she was a superstar. I wanted nothing more than to be her best friend. 

So how did we go from that to her asking me to be the most important part of her bridal party? Time I suppose is the only explanation. I got older and could relate to her about more things. She got older and it became socially acceptable to not think your little sister is just an annoyance. One thing led to another and we became the kind of sisters I always wanted to be. She picked me up and took me to a late night movie when my boyfriend broke up with me. She hung out and joked with me at all our family functions. We share clothes... the whole package.

With that being said, as happy as I am for my sister, this time is a little bittersweet. Even when we weren't as close its always been "Mckenzie and Molly". The youngest. The ones who aren't married. The ones who still lived at home. Now I feel like its just Molly. I know I'm not losing a sister through this process, and will actually be gaining a great brother, but I can't help feeling a little sad. All I can say is I hope this doesn't mean I have to be on the Christmas card alone this year!!

Anyways, back to the part about how happy I am for her. I truly am. Everett is a very lucky guy, and he will soon be married to the coolest person I know. I hope that they enjoy their lives together and live everyday they spend together well. And I also hope that McKenzie and I will just continue to let our relationship grow, and love each other even more through this experience. Most of all I hope she is happy. (Oh, and that I can think of a good speech for the rehearsal dinner!)



1 comment:

  1. molls this is too presh. i hope someday i can get to this point with my sister. congrats!

    ReplyDelete