Monday, December 12, 2011

A food drive, a food bank, and a Christmas party (with food)

Saturday I woke up bright and early, and headed to school to meet the rest of the senior class council. The past two weeks North Central has had a giant canned food drive to help feed families in our school district over the holidays. The drive ended Friday, and the aftermath was a room filled with tons and tons of canned (and boxed) food.



Senior Class council would work all day to sort and bag the food to get it 100% ready to go out to the families. While it was hard and somewhat serious work, you can never be completely serious with people like Audrey and Virg around. Maddie sat on the ground and opened bags really well. Virginia had a photo shoot. Audrey ran around and provided entertainment. Chelsea was just her "hipster chic" Urban Outfitters-working self. It was really great.




















After a few hours, Hayley and I met Anna in the parking lot and it was time for an All For Children trip to Gleaner's Food Bank downtown. Anna brought the starbucks. Hayley brought the directions. We piled in my car, and off we went. Gleaner's is this HUGE warehouse that has tons and tons and tons of food. They have a giant freezer that runs half the length of the building, and a fridge just as pick. We met some other members there, and got put to work.

 We organized.

We made boxes.


We emptied boxes. There was just so much food to sort through and box up and empty out!

It was such a successful day of volunteering. I'm so glad to work with officers like Hayley and Anna. Its a really cool thing to be partners with people who are passionate about what we're doing, and really just want to do their part in making a difference. I'm so excited for this club to continue next semester, and to work with these girls even more.


A ride back to school and a couple hours of Christmas shopping with Hayley later, it was time for Danielle and Cameron's 2nd Annual Christmas Party! To top off spending the whole day together, Hayley and I drove to Virginia's to meet her, Maddie and Emma and head to Danielle's!






It was so fun to get to the party and see all our friends so dressed up and just so happy to spend time all together. We ate and mingled and danced to Christmas music. I just really love this time of year.



I love days when I can help other people. I love days that I spend with Hayley. I love days where I feel accomplished. I love days when I get to see lots of friends. I love days like Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment