Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Reflection

"I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."--Martin Luther King Jr


With each news station and paper revolving around the recent death of a terrorist, I can't help but be a little disturbed by all the excitement. I love my country, and would consider myself to be patriotic in lots of ways. I cannot, however, bring myself to participate in the celebration of another person's death- even a terrorist's. 


These words of Martin Luther King could not state any better exactly how I'm feeling in this moment. Although I still remember and mourn the deaths of so many Americans on September 11, 2001, the only place worth going from here is forward. In fear of going on a rant, I think the main point I' trying to get across is this: Love Wins. It says it on my car. It says it on Sar's water bottle. It says it on the keychains Annie made as Christmas presents. That fact, that love prevails over all and is the ultimate means for improvement in any aspect of life, is true today more than ever.


So, while I love America, and am grateful for the recent closure of the people who lost loved ones 10 years ago, I think everyone could use a little reminder of the words of one of this countries greatest leaders. I want to drive out the hate with love. I want to shed light through the darkness. In a night with no stars, I want to find a full moon.

1 comment: