Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Thats just how your dad rolls"

This past week was spent on white sandy beaches, with 3 of my best friends, the 2 greatest parents ever, and lots and lots of nothing to do. So great.

I've been going to Florida for spring break as long as I can remember. Every year starting after Christmas break I count down the days until I'm free again, with nothing to worry about, and tan skin. When I was younger this meant Sanibel Island, where my mom loved to shell and my sister and all her friends went for their high school break. For the last 2 years, Siesta Key was the destination. The shelling was swapped for the whitest sand ever, and Mckenzie's friends for mine.


On Friday afternoon, me, Gabby, and Emma left school early and headed to the airport for the start of our long awaited vacation. The plane ride there consisted of friendship braceleting, Harry Potter, iPods, and a nap. An hour and a half later, we stepped off the plane into 79 degree Florida air. Perf.



The rest of the week was filled with laying on the beach, more Harry Potter, swapping bathing suits, lots and lots of sunscreen, a golf cart ride, meeting new people, meeting more new people the next night, yummy dinners, cases and cases of sprites and dt. cokes, 3 monsoons, Jeff's crazy driving, Mindy being more popular than me, oreos and peanut butter, bagels every morning, lots of "wah"ing, and laughing a whole lot.






At the beginning of the week Gabby starting saying "wah" every time she was sad or someone complained or just when their was a silence. By the end of the week everyone was doing it (except Dan who for some reason was meowing instead). Now I may or may not say it every 5 minutes.




Coming home from such a high is always hard. It almost feels like the vacation never happened. Its a weird feeling coming home to the place you usually go to everyday after school after being gone for a long period of time. Its bittersweet. My own bed- sweet. Having a great tan to show off at school- sweet. The actual going back to school- bitter. Not waking up for the sole purpose of laying on the beach in 10 minutes- bitter. Soon I will go  back through the everyday motions of homework and classes and stress. It will be like Spring Break never happened. This year I want to take something away from Spring Break though. This week I was grateful. Grateful for really really awesome parents. Grateful for friends I can spend the week with and come out loving them even more. Grateful for the opportunity to even get a break. When I wake up for school tomorrow, I won't be waking up to a beach. But I will be waking up to all those people who made my week so great- sweet.


1 comment: