Sunday, May 6, 2012

I feel so old

Today was filled with family as we celebrated my niece Regan's 8th birthday. Regan was born when I was 10, and I just can't believe 8 years have already passed. Since Regan's been born I've become an aunt two more times, finished middle school and almost high school, gotten a new brother-in-law, been a blazer, a warrior, a pathfinder, a CILT, and a day camp counselor, and decided on what college I'm going to for the next four years of my life.

As the school year comes to a close the more and more realizations I have about how things are going to be so different soon. Spending time with all my family reminds me that those times are about to be much farther apart and less frequent. Soon I will have to adjust to living somewhere else with new people and new experiences. I think I am ready for that change, but days like today with Regan (and Griffin and Carter and Blake) make it bittersweet.





It is so weird going around telling people my plans for next year. Everyone is so excited to find out where I'm going and what I want to study and says things like "I wish I was about to be a freshman in college, you are going to have such a great time." Sometimes when I'm telling people about DePauw it still doesn't feel real or like its really me I'm talking about. I just feel like Regan was born the other day and I was just beginning to anticipate middle school.



I really am so so excited though. I'm excited to experience life on my own without my parents always there to make everything better. I'm excited to make new friends and form new relationships. I'm excited to not be in one building everyday from 7:25 to 3:00. I'm excited to walk everywhere and to eat in a dining hall and to figure out what classes I'm taking. So, while this whole growing up and leaving home thing is really kind of sad I just have to keep reminding myself all the exciting and fun parts and its easier to look past the sad stuff. Luckily, I know my family and my house and even some of my friends will be here waiting for me every time I get back and that just makes the whole thing even better.



While change is sometimes hard, its necessary. And I'm ready to accept the new changes in my life and embrace them.



No comments:

Post a Comment